activeRat was founded in 1998 as an independent publisher for digital media based in Bern and Geneva. Initially, we produced interactive CD-ROMs with artists, artistic computer programs and web-art. As time went by, computers and their operating systems changed, and more or less all our productions didn’t work anymore… Our enthusiasm led us to ignore the media-related boundaries: now, we do printed books, cassettes, vinyls, posters, sound- and media works on SD-cards. We do them all with love and we understood that it is this diversity and the physical aspect we appreciate. Most artists work between the realms of sound and fine art.
We are creating and publishing strange and complicated editions and publications with younger & older friends and artists from here & there. Some are distributed in bookshops and art spaces, but you can directly order most of them directly from this site. So, drop by from time to time to see what we have added, or put you on our mailing list. (You can also be in touch via Facebook, but be aware that we are not too active in social media (because we like to control our information flow).
activeRat also distributes editions of other small publishers, labels and friends (and the productions of our sub- and sister-labels, like e.g. speckled-toshe.ch).
You can reach us by email:
And we still love to get snail mail:
3047 Bremgarten b. Bern
rue de Vermont 15
– Return and refund policies
– Terms of service.
– Shipping and payments.
This record of Ombra Magnetica – Eleonora Polato (Anita) and Jonathan Frigeri (Johnny Haway), co-edited with Zonoff, goes back to a residency by Eleonora Polato at the Q-O2 in Brussels and a project that she realised there together with Jonathan Frigeri in 2016. Now the vinyl record is available, together with a beautiful text by Julia Eckhardt. [ >>more/order…]
- Gregory Bourrilly – (poster, booklet and sound) kiss and smile [more info / buy]
- Claire van Lubeek & Crowdpleaser – An Infant’s Friend in Sound and Meditation (poster, booklet and sound) [more info / buy]
- Paulo Wirz & Lucas Wirz – Presságios (poster by Paulo Wirz, booklet and sound by Lucas Wirz) [more info / buy]
- Xe Ye – The Old Mobius Strip (This edition – like the earlier ones of the Hot Tat series – consists of only one poster.) [more info / buy]
Curious about minds – a series of square vinyl objects
Square Vinyl, 7 *7 inches, 33 RPM, Single Sided, Limited Edition, Picture Disc / app. 6min.
The four editions of this series are all independent works by four compelling female artists who address the same fundamental questions. Starting from their personal positions, they examine, question and criticize the relationships between gender roles, norms and expectations in society – each in her own way in sound and image.
- Zoé Aubry – I am a sweet angel face who got into danger place [more…/buy]
- Giulia Essyad – Crying [more…/buy]
- Nathalie Rebholz – Omnisound [more…/buy]
- Caroline Schattling Villeval – Happy Narrative Song [more…/buy]
The series has just been extended with a publication by Gaia Vincensini [more info]. ‘Swiss Music’ stems from a performance the artist did for the off-space Urgizzy in the ruins of Urgiz in Densbüren AG
and one by Douna Lim and Théo Pesso ‘Lyrics’ (m.r.) [more info].
More are in production
The Annotations of the IIRRM #1 (E), #2 (F), and #3 (F)
The IIRRM Annotations, is a journal of Zonoff’s ‘Institut de Recherche sur la Radio et la Magie’, which we edit and publish together with them. It is published twice a year and contains texts and images around questions of magick and radio.
ISSUE #3 (autumn 2022, in French) ‘Maam Kumba Bang: Mythe ou Légende?’ is a documentary and at the same time a sonorous journey to the mythical figure of Maam Kumba Bang in Saint Louis, Senegal. The newspaper is – like the podcast – a result of the research of Mbaye Diop, Eric Desjeux and Jonathan Frigeri in Senegal. (16 pages)
Issue #2 (spring 2022, in French) is dedicated to Gnostic currents in Switzerland and also highlights a connection between Kenneth Anger and a Thelema abbey in Appenzell that lasted for several years.
Issue #1 (autumn 2021) is about conspiracy theories as an artistic form, about fear and how to handle it in a society that still struggles to figure out how it deals with text and code. It also revolves around the simple and, at the same time, very complex question of an existence proof with logic and language.
8 (16) pages, newspaper format.
Disks of ‘a-sides’ and ‘Speckled Toshe’ (LPs)
Vinyls, 12″, LPs, Limited Edition, 250 copies, black and coloured blue vinyl
We have realised LPs as part of the HES-SO research project ‘a-sides‘, and there are a few more to come under ‘speckled toshe’. All the LPs contain sound pieces by visual artists. These were records with: Hannah Weinberger (a co-edition with the Centre d’Art Genève and HEAD-Genève, supported by the Société Générale), Karl Holmqvist, Anne le Troter. Next, records with Olga Kokcharova, John Armleder and more artists will be released. Stay tuned!
You can order them here.
You Can’t Buy Me Love – Rudy Kanhye (LP 45 rpm)
Vinyl, 12″, 45 RPM, Single Sided, Limited Edition, 250 copies, coloured pink vinyl
A1 You Can’t Buy Me Love 3:22
The recording is a sonic trace of the performance “You can feel it but you can’t hear it” by the artist Rudy Kanhye.
The performance took place at Sou-Sou #4 at Kino REX, Bern on April 13, 2017; at the invitation of Mathieu Arbez Hermoso. [more…/buy]
Thick Kompakt (Cassette 2 x 28 min)
A radiophonic opera imagined and orchestrated by
Celine Aernoudt, Melanie Akeret, Zoé Aubry, Lorraine Baylac, Angélique Dalla-Torre, Aurélie Dubois, Marc Norbert Hörler, Arttu Palmio, Julie Sando, Bruno Schaub, Laurent Schmid, Sara da Silva Santos, Tristan Thévenoz and Vanessa Urben.
An intergalactic trip played live and broadcast by LapTopRadio from one gee in fog in Chêne-Bourg on September 6, 2018. [more…/buy]
Abacus – Radio Magic, various artists (LP and rainbow screen print)
black Vinyl, LP, Limited Edition, a special edition of 250 copies comes with a silkscreen printed by Dasein Studio, Tesserete of a sketch Ugo La Pietra did for the LapTopRadio group, 2018. With: Ergo Phizmiz, Scanner, Delmore fx, Felix Kubin, Jealousy Party, Johnny Haway.
HEAD-Genève and Razoff – activeRat and Zonoff, 2018 [more…/buy]
A Message to the International Hacker Community – Goodiepal (printed manifesto and audio cassette)
Audiocassette 23 min. 21 sec. with printed leaflet / message by Goodiepal (Parl Kristian Bjørn Vester)
Razoff #04 / 2017 Sound and leaflet by Goodiepal
HEAD – Genève and Razoff
(activeRat and Zonoff), 2018
and also note::
(printed booklets / paperbacks and sounds on SD cards) by
Sarah Burger, Ceel Mogami de Haas, Lauren Huret, Laure Marville, Nastasia Meyrat and Yoan Mudry
(inkjet on blueback) by
Lucas Cantori, Adrien Chevalley, Chloé Delarue, Guillaume Denervaud, Camille Dumond, Thomas Koenig, Maya Rochat
Most older editions are not listed in the catalogue anymore, since you would need an old computer with an ancient operation system to enjoy the content… Some are still available, we even did some patches to grant access. You may ask us. The items listed here are all in stock.
The following artists contributed in these editions:
- Mathieu Arbez Hermoso dliss
- Zoé Aubry – I am a sweet angel face who got into danger place
- Liudvikas Buklys In Absent Places We Dwell
- Daniele Buetti SkinnerBoxMixes
- Elia Buletti / DelmoreFX My Kitchen vs. the Rest of the World, Le Plus Beau Coucher de Soleil The Conference of the Birds, Zonoff Café Abacus
- Sarah Burger straight up, In Absent Places We Dwell
- Gregory Bourrilly Hot Tap
- Lucas Cantori Hot Tat
- Adrien Chevalley Hot Tat
- Plinio-Natale Clemento-Müller Le Plus Beau Coucher de Soleil, Zonoff Café
- Olivia Croce Le Plus Beau Coucher de Soleil, Zonoff Café
- Crowdpleaser with Claire van Lubeek Hot Tap
- Ceel Mogami de Haas straight up
- Cholé Delarue: Hot Tat
- Guillaume Denervaud Hot Tat
- Camille Dumond: Hot Tat
- Giulia Essyad – Crying
- F.E.C. Zonoff Café
- F.T.W. Zonoff Café
- Sabrina Fernandez Casas It was a Pleasure to Burn
- Joëlle Flumet Le Plus Beau Coucher de Soleil, Zonoff Café
- Sergio Gi Zonoff Café
- Goodiepal A Message to the International Hacker Community
- Hervé Graumann Zonoff Café
- Olmo Guadagnoli Le Plus Beau Coucher de Soleil, Zonoff Café
- Romain Hamard In Absent Places We Dwell
- Johnny Haway / Jonathan Frigeri Field Recordings in Sardegna, Conference of the Birds, Zonoff Café Abacus Ombra Magnetica
- Lauren Huret straight up
- Indias Indios Conference of the Birds
- Juju & Piupiu Le Plus Beau Coucher de Soleil, Zonoff Café
- Rudy Kanhye You Can’t Buy Me Love
- Thomas Koenig: Hot Tat, bliss
- Petra Elena Köhle & Nicolas Vermot Petit-Outhenin In Absent Places We Dwell
- Franticek Klossner SkinnerBoxMixes
- Knifeloop Conference of the Birds
- Aglaia Konrad In Absent Places We Dwell
- Victor Konwicky Le Plus Beau Coucher de Soleil
- Daniel Gustav Kramer In Absent Places We Dwell
- Susanne Kriemann In Absent Places We Dwell
- Felix Kubin Abacus – Radio Magic
- L / B (Sabina Lang and Daniel Baumann) SkinnerBoxMixes
- Dominique Lämmli and Markus Bucher SkinnerBoxMixes
- Oheun Lee Zonoff Café
- Yeji Lee dliss
- Gary Leddington In Absent Places We Dwell
- Claire van Lubeek (with Crowdpleaser) Hot Tap
- Douna Lim & Théo Pesso Lyrics (m.r.)
- Jealousy Party Abacus – Radio Magic
- Ergo Phizmiz Abacus – Radio Magic
- Jeanne Macheret In Absent Places We Dwell
- Raoul Marek (with Ute Wassermann) SkinnerBoxMixes
- Laure Marville straight up
- Angela Marzullo & Renaud Marchand Le Plus Beau Coucher de Soleil, Zonoff Café
- Nastasia Meyrat straight up
- Florent Meng In Absent Places We Dwell
- Nicolas Momein In Absent Places We Dwell
- Yoan Mudry straight up
- Barbara Mühlefluh SkinnerBoxMixes
- Bessie Nager and Nicoletta Wartmann SkinnerBoxMixes
- Odilon Pain In Absent Places We Dwell
- Stéphanie Pfister Le Plus Beau Coucher de Soleil
- Eleonora Polato Le Plus Beau Coucher de Soleil Zonoff Café Ombra Magnetica
- Elena Radice dliss
- Scott Radnor Zonoff Café
- Nathalie Rebholz – Omnisound
- Kotscha Reist (with Simon Hostettler) SkinnerBoxMixes
- relax SkinnerBoxMixes
- Maya Rochat Hot Tat
- Pekka Ruuska Zonoff Café
- Caspar Sawyer, Zonoff Café
- Scanner Abacus – Radio Magic
- Caroline Schattling Villeval – Happy Narrative Song
- Laurent Schmid Rope Trick Effects, Le Plus Beau Coucher de Soleil, Zonoff Café, SkinnerBoxMixes
- Pascal Schwaighofer In Absent Places We Dwell
- Laura Solari Le Plus Beau Coucher de Soleil, Zonoff Café
- Nika Spalinger SkinnerBoxMixes
- Héloïse Thibault Le Plus Beau Coucher de Soleil
- TRema (aka Jean-Pierre Peruki) Conference of the Birds
- Triphaze (aka Marek Brandt) Conference of the Birds
- Urged (aka Allis Permitted) Conference of the Birds
- Patrick Tschudi, Zonoff Café
- Emanuel Tschumi SkinnerBoxMixes
- Filippo Vannini Le Plus Beau Coucher de Soleil, Zonoff Café
- Camille Vanoye In Absent Places We Dwell
- Marie Velardi In Absent Places We Dwell, Zonoff Café
- Erik van der Weijde In Absent Places We Dwell
- Gaia Vincensini Swiss Music
- Frank Westermeyer Zonoff Café
- Lucas Wirz Hot Tap
- Paulo Wirz Hot Tap
- Seyoung Yoon dliss
- Ye Xe Hot Tap
we’re doing stuff
and we are still happy like foolish kids when a new edition comes out.
Or by snailmail:
3047 Bremgarten b. Bern
or: rue de Vermont 15, 1202 Geneva
We would be very happy to have you on board with us.
So, if you want to be kept up to date and get – rare, promised! – info mailings from our side: